Friday, January 11, 2008

Pulp Legacy going digital with issue 39

Hi guys,

I just received an email with the question, "when do we begin the debate about printed/CD Pulp Legacy?"

Well, it's a good time to announce it... I've already debated this, and, yeah... issue 39 will only be offered in CD form. If you want a printed copy, you'll have to print your own from the CD.

Here's what I said in the email:

I know some people will be disappointed… heck, I’m one of them!

But here are my choices:

1. Continue to print the APA, where the costs will continue to come out of me and Copy J’s pocket
2. Make the APA all-CD, so cost is reduced to 1/8th and time commitment is reduced to 1/20th

We just gotta rip it off like a band-aid. And who knows, this whole thing may fall apart miserably, and we’re back to printing in a few months. But for now, I need to give this a try.

I don’t want to come off like a dictator here. But debating, voting, etc., isn’t going to help the $200 CopyCo bill. This will. So this is what I’m doing.

If you really love the printed PL… go ahead and print it. That’s an option. It’s just that you now have to print your own.

I don’t think I’m taking away anything, because PL still can be printed. But I am putting a stop to the mounting copy/postage bills.

I’ll reproduce this on the Pulp Legacy blog (
www.pulplegacy.blogspot.com) , so everyone can see what we’re talking about here.

I invite all comments, questions, complaints... please post them here so everyone can see them. You can start your own post or make a comment to this one. I really would like to hear what you think of the CD format of Pulp Legacy. By going this direction, we have a few things we need to consider.

In the meantime, there's still $180 owed to CopyCo if you'd like to help out with the bill. You can PayPal to sjones2@gcsaa.org.

Thanks.

6 comments:

Monster Monkey said...

I, personally, loved the CD for last issue. For one, it came in one piece and nothing was duplicated. (completely different from my printed copy, buncha drunkards :)The color was awesome to see. And it was alot crisper with better quality. I don't have a problem with the transfer at all.
Seth, email me your paypal email.

Seth said...

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Brad. Sorry we continue to screw up your copy... honestly, we don't drink that hard!

sjones2@gcsaa.org is my paypal email. Thanks!

Jason Arnett said...

Of course it doesn't take much for us to get drunk the older we get....

Anyway, I really think this is the way to go. It really opens up possibilities to those creative juices we all seem to suppress from time to time.

So you know (and CopyJ will chime in if I get this wrong, I hope!) you can still FTP or email your Word document in and it'll be converted to PDF for the CD. And if you want to include music or video, you now have that option.

Costwise, it's a stunning move. It will take MUCH less time to assemble the book, and MUCH less space in your living areas. For that matter, you can just print off what 'zines you think would entice others to join and put them in a three-ring binder on your coffee table.

So, this is a good thing, a very good thing, and something that could lead to more changes for the APA. Of course, my problem is I get distracted by the possibilities and forget to write stuff and format it for the 'zine. That said, you'll be seeing something that I hope you find interesting from me in issue 40. (I say that because it's already done.)

Gronwyr said...

It's fair enough as far as i can see that you guys want to cut down costs. In fact, i reckon using digital format is the way to go.

Contributors needn't worry about using large images (as i have the past 2 times) to cut down on printing costs, and we can all see them in color.

Jason - i like the idea of adding video and audio, hope to see some from you in the next issue!

CJ said...

OK, so that's 5 yea's if I count it right. Color oix, video, audio, and live hyperlinks... this is gonna be cool!

CJ said...

pix, I meant PIX!