Friday, October 19, 2007

Same rainbow


Here's a photo my wife took of me and Evey admiring the same rainbow (we're in the lower right-hand corner).


I know that rainbows lose some of their mystique as we grow older, but this rainbow shattered any cynicism with its sheer brilliance. At work the next day I mentioned the rainbow, and we were all kids again. Most of the people in the conversation claimed to have never seen a rainbow so intense before. And I have to agree. This rainbow was eye-popping.


I hit Dillon's for some groceries after work. And as I drove down 6th Street in Lawrence, the clouds parted and the sun shot through. And I knew there'd be a good rainbow soon. And before I knew it, there was a spectacular double-rainbow. I raced home as fast as I could, to get my daughter and show her her first rainbow -- a rainbow very worthwhile of being someone's first rainbow.


As I drove by the local TV news station, I saw a cameraman outside filming the phenomena. And as I made the turn down the alley behind my house, I saw an older couple with camera in hand, shooting the rainbow for their own collection.


I ran inside, grabbed Evey, and we began our admiration for God's (or whatever name that being goes by) handiwork. OK, Evey didn't quite understand why I had her out in the rain. Still, for me, it was a rush.

1 comment:

Jason Arnett said...

Now this is COOL. This is the kind of thing I was talking about on assembly night with the live call-in radio show. I'm on the west side of town, you're on the east and we're looking at the same thing, likely at the same time.

That's Synchronicity at work, my friend.