Wednesday, April 30, 2008

DC Universe 0

ok, I haven't walked into a comic book store since at least early 2007, most likely earlier than that.
but I had to have DC Universe 0 in my hot little hands today. way to go, DC marketing machine. the bad news is that you only earned fifty of my pennies.

this book, written by Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns, had no substance. I realize that its very existence is a product of DC wanting me to buy the stuff it teases, but....
it teases some big stuff. the narrator's voice, when you finally figure out who it is (yeah, it took me until the last page, when it was hammer-hitting obvious) is pretty cool, I guess. more Legion exposure, and more villain stuff, and more
but I wanted big ideas and big payoffs - apparently I have to wait until Final Crisis.

the comic shop by my college is horrible. i walked in to three customers and two employees - one employee was early twenties, goatee-thing and glasses, talking about this one time when he went to this one thing and didn't sleep for forty-two hours.
there was a middle-aged customer in line ahead of me, he looked like a tall version of Mark Waid. man, is that a nerdy way to describe a fella. he spent $59 on about fifteen comics, and wasn't in the club. the counter-jockey asked him if he was in the club and explained the club to the customer. counter-jockey also said how excited he gets when customers pay with cash on Wednesday, how much he was loving the new *blah-something-blah* book, and how he would now put the customers order into a "convenient bagging device"
stupidly - and this is really, really stupid - i asked what week Final Crisis was coming out, and then when Trinity was due. counter-jockey and loud-goatee-guy didn't know either date, but started to explain to me the cycle of Iron Man hype and how that will die down to Final Crisis hype, and every comic website would be discussing it.
he started talking about how he trusts Kurt Busiek more than Paul Dini, and how Trinity should be better, both in concept and execution. i was walking out the door at this point, but they kept talking - mostly this made me remember why i don't go into comic shops anymore. and then it made me want to throw a fiery bomb into the back for a diversion and then run out so i wouldn't have to stand there any longer.

6 comments:

tsweeten said...

Wow, I must be extremely fortunate to have a cool comic book shop to go to. Are all places like this? I've had one similarly bad experience like Tom's but it was because I had ventured into one of those gamer shops posing as a comic book store. After reading this, I really want to give Darin (my friendly neighborhood comic book store owner) a big hug. In a completely hetero way.

Jason Arnett said...

You know, it's just awful that once you die in comics, you can't stay Barry'd.

Oh, well.

mar said...

And you wonder why comics and comics fans have a bad name.

Sweeten having to note that he would hug his comics shop owner "in a completely hetero way" casts doubt on his own hetero-ness. You already got a few strikes against you, Perm-Boy.

tsweeten said...

Marlan, after toting a supply of hair care products in a suitcase large enough to house a chinese family to Chicago, you are the last person qualified to cast aspersions on "hetero-ness".

mar said...

What's not heterosexual about hair-gel? I'm sorry that me and my hair-care products (well, product, really, since I ever only have one -- I don't know what you were looking at) led you on the wayward path of giving perms and manicures for a living. I hope graying, old women and repressed Oklahoman gay dudes tip well.

B. Clay Moore said...

DC Universe was supposed to serve as an introduction and lead-in, and I think it did an all right job at that.