Thursday, September 27, 2007

Survey continuation

The comments on the first survey post were getting a bit long as well as getting pushed into the background by the newer posts. So, to expedite things ('cause some people prolly wouldn't take the time to actually SEARCH FOR the original post), I'm including Copy J's most recent comment as well as my response as a new post. Comment away on this one until it too gets buried.

Copy J's comments:
Absolutely that would be a logical starting point. We could do a "Pulpy Issue" reprinting (digitally) the winners and have everyone submit a "Best of 2007" list of whatever they choose; music, movies, tv, etc.

Archiving the old issues needs to be done as well. Seth mentions it every once in a while at assembly, we talk about it, then we don't do anything about it (imagine that). It takes lots of time for a project of that scope. But it could be done over a period of say, a year. We could release "season 1" first to much fanfare, maybe do presale on "season 2"... ok, maybe not.

Likely everyone will have some issue with any change that is made or not made. I have my opinions, I voiced them earlier today. In my mind, there are 3 main questions to the digital/not digital discussion:

1. TIME - is there ever enough?

2. COST - the price of everything is going up, always has, always will, where do we draw the line?

3. NEW MEMBERS - what do we have to offer them?

This is getting long-winded, so I'll stop for tonight. Let me just leave you with this thought, "Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb." Adam West as Batman

My comment:
Actually, I like the Season 1 idea (assuming of course, we can find copies of all those issues)...I keep all my issues of my 'zine archived and I'm fairly positive that everyone types theirs up on some type of computer or word processor that is connected to the Internet, so emailing them shouldn't be a problem. So archiving each 'zine shouldn't be that hard to do (starting it up, yes...once we've got the ball rolling, not so much). Perhaps we could compile them into a PDF file and upload them somewhere? (Jason, is this possible?) Or, have someone (I will tentatively raise my hand and volunteer) compile all the issues digitally and burn them to disc. Then if you want a copy, you send whomever is running the show a few bucks to cover shipping and CD costs and you've got Season whatever of PL.

I really do think that we should do a Best of the Year digital issue. If nothing else it will be a "put up or shut up" moment. If the response is overwhelming then it certainly would give an impetus for going digital. But I still have two arguments against going completely digital that I can't overcome: 1) I like to show off the anthology at school and to my friends. If the issue were completely digital, it would be far more difficult to say, "Here's the new issue, take it home and load it onto your computer and let me know what you think". That's more effort than most people will do. 2) Tying into the first argument is the fact that I've gotten more people interested in PL from them spying the cover and asking questions than I have with conversations about what my hobbies are. I've even starting taking the newest issue to school and leaving it on my station 'cause almost everyone who sits in my chair for a haircut will browse through it and make comments (plus it serves as a conversational piece...it gets hard to talk about the same inane topics every day, five to six times a day). I know that the covers are expensive, most especially with the production values going up with them, but since we are a creative bunch, surely there is something we can come up with to negate the costs to a more reasonable price? Thoughts?

2 comments:

Jason Arnett said...

Well, I can tell you that after spending $50+ the last couple of issues for printing both the Features and my own 'zine, the digital option is waaaaay more attractive for me. I haven't had access to free copies for over a year, and it's getting expensive.

The idea that I could take a CD and pop it into my computer and then print out the issue on my own dime is way more attractive and cost-effective for me.

I believe that I'll put the Features in a .pdf file and drop that file (along with my 'zine) onto 25 CDs for about twenty bucks or less. It's worth my time to do that and save a little money. Anyone else who wants to take advantage is welcome to pipe up, but I'm going to make that first step. I hope you won't mind.

Even with shipping to Cali for Marlan's issues (which I haven't had to pay for as I've been on the Assembly Team since I joined the APA), I'm saving money. Much as I love this, it's really time to move to a format that makes more sense.

You can still print your 'zine out when you get the CD, so I think that's the way to go. Think of all the cost savings, especially to our non-Continental American members, who have to work so far ahead it's crazy. Let's take a more global view and give them the opportunity to be a little more current and the ability to use color. Who wouldn't want to see Baxter's pics, for instance, in color?

Monster Monkey said...

what he said
I concur.....and stuff