Monday, March 2, 2009

How much Watchmen stuff do we need?




Is anyone else starting to get a little... overwhelmed... with all the Watchmen stuff?

It seems like every cast member has been interviewed ten times by every pop culture media outlet. The preview is everywhere. Watchmen has it's own endcap at the big book chain. CNN is asking, "Will fans watch the Watchmen?" as one of their main stories.

How much longer before I'm filling out the crossword puzzle on the back of my box of Rorschach cereal? (Flavor: sugar cubes. Free prize: mini-grappling gun.)

I think what pushed me over the edge was when I saw this book, pictured, at Border's this weekend. Do I really need oversized black and white portraits of every cast member -- from the Comedian to the Viet Cong Dr. Manhattan obliterates -- in a deluxe format book? For $50?

I wonder how much Watchmen stuff will be steeply discounted in three weeks from now. Would I want to buy this book for 50% off? For 75% off? The answer is no. But I'm not much into portrait photography, either, so maybe I just don't "get it."

I'm looking forward to the movie, but I'm also getting sick of seeing/hearing about it.

4 comments:

tsweeten said...

Blame "The Dark Knight". What'd that movie finally pull in, the GDP of Sweden? Think of the tie-ins, the merchandising potential. Besides, Fox is getting a huge cut of the box office so Warner has to make up the difference somewhere.

Monster Monkey said...

This book has some awesome shots. Overwhelming or not, it's on my wish list!!!

Monster Monkey said...

Oh yeah, and since I don't watch that much tv or listen to radio- I've been market onslaught free for alot of the hype bombardment. I'm expecting to be disappointed because it looks all too clean compared to the grittiness of the GN. Should be fun anyway...woot

Jason Arnett said...

Blame TDK? Who's the king of movie merchandising, Travis? It's NOT Warner Bros., I promise.

George Lucas did it back in the 70s and everything since then has been a riff on what Star Wars accomplished in peripheral sales.

Seth, I agree with you that it's all over-the-top marketing at this point. If you can find David Edelstein's review of the movie from CBS's Sunday Morning program, you might be surprised at how much time he spend on Alan and the history of the comic than he did on the film itself.

He didn't recommend it unless you're a full-on comic geek.