Thursday, March 5, 2009

For SUPER-FRIENDS Fans

The Warner Bros. studio lot in Burbank has huge pictorals and ads for their TV shows and movies. I was over there the other day (on my way to an early screening of Watchmen!) and I saw their new project. On the side of one of the sound-stages (where they tape Ellen, actually) they've had a pictoral of all of their animated characters, including Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, Batman, and Superman, for years. This is what they're doing now:
Note this close-up. This could be lingering from what was underneath it but part of the character is outlined in the new paint:
And I have no idea what it is. I thought Warner Bros. had already released all of the Super-Friends episodes on DVD and I don't know what this could be connected to. Obviously it's not finished. When it's done I'll post more pictures.
And a bonus. This is, of course, my local comics shop, the House of Secrets in Burbank. I don't know what the story is behind this. They tried putting a comics-related mural in this same spot a few years ago but the city shut it down: (Yeah, that's my bike.)

3 comments:

Monster Monkey said...

I agree about the html dick shooting thing. And Hall of Justice just rules no matter how long it took to load the pics.

Seth said...

Great post, Mar. Thanks for the pics! The Watchmen thing is cool, too!

mar said...

A few weeks ago we were at Amoeba burning through some Groupons and, getting out of my go-to comfort zone of looking for (ever yet) more music, I went upstairs to look at DVDs and on my way to the SNL discs I got snagged by the section they had for superhero videos. Yeah, you read that right. As if I have to tell you that that store is cool. So I pawed through a few things and at the front of a row was a SUPER-FRIENDS disc that boasted the "lost episodes." Now, I've seen every episode of the show, at least five times each, most as they were originally broadcast, so surely I'd seen those... hadn't I? But I picked up the disc anyway (along with the last two seasons of the show, the "Super-Powers" and "Galactic Guardians" seasons) and sure enough there were shows I hadn't seen, two discs worth. I don't know how they got shuffled away from being shown on TV but here they were, in all their poorly-animated glory. Exactly straight from that particular season (the one where they introduced El Dorado, I believe), just like they were meant to be in there. They were the ones with three different adventures in half an hour and they move so quickly that you don't think too hard about the fact that the show was probably not the greatest cartoon on Saturday mornings (it might not even have been the best superhero cartoon on Saturday mornings) but they're fun and, by and large, loyal to the comics. The racially-diverse characters don't even grate now as much as they used to. Highlights: a sequel of sorts to the "Challenge of the Super-Friends" season, with the entire Legion of Doom. Lowlights: the Wonder Twins in the middle show.