Saturday, February 16, 2008

Another Creator Passes

I never was a fan of Steve Gerber's work, in fact only aware of it in passing. I knew he created Howard the Duck but I've never read any of the comics. Still, I knew that Gerber held a place of respect within the comics community for his stance on creator's rights.

Does God have something against comic books? 'Cause we seem to have lost a lot of comic book creators in a very short time.

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/story/_a/howard-the-duck-creater-gerber-dies/n20080215215109990003

1 comment:

Jason Arnett said...

Gerber's DEFINITELY an acquired taste, but once acquired is hard to shake. He's only cynical on the surface; what appeals to me about his work is the belief of human goodness.

It's always there, just sometimes you have to really look for it. I especially enjoyed NEVADA, which you should be able to find at a Borders or Barnes & Noble near you. If not, I know it's on Amazon.com for cheap.

Otherwise, try the Essential Howard the Duck or the Essential Doctor Strange with the fantastic Frank Brunner art.

Gerber, in his way was absolutely brilliant.