Thursday, November 5, 2009

About some comics and my writing

As usual, cross-posted from my LiveJournal

* Terry Moore's new series, ECHO, is one hell of a ride. If you liked Strangers in Paradise, this is very different. It has a very HBO kind of feel to it. The art is typically gorgeous and the dialogue is real. Highly recommended.

* Nearly hit 9000 words last night on my NaNoWriMo work, so I'm doing well with my improved goal of 2000 words a day (at least to start off) and I'm happy with how it's coming along. Since doing NaNo last year, I've written 11 short stories for an estimated total of about 62,000 words and 111,000 including the NaNovel. I don't think that's a bad total at all. Averaging 9250 a month.

* I'm proud of that.

* Thinking ahead, I'd really like to have 250,000 words total under my belt this time next year. I am confident that I can get that. (This year's NaNovel target word count is 60,000, which means another 80,000 from December 2009 through October 2010.)

* The Long Range will finish up (for me) around late February/early March. I know what I'm writing after that, but haven't put any framework around it. I like having a format (6000 words, four 1500 word chapters per story) and I think that's helped me. What one may not realize yet is that The Long Range is really a novel.

* Speaking of which, November's story, "The Insulated Man" started yesterday. Have you read it yet? Tell me what you think.

* I read the Mister X Archives by Dean Motter & Co. (including Los Bros Hernandez and Seth) as published by Dark Horse Comics and am now reading The Umbrella Academy: Dallas by Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba. These two books are among the most subversive comics ever with ideas such as Psychetecture and time traveling assassins. The only book that's missing from this mix is Matt Fraction's Casanova, which is on a hiatus while MF writes a bunch of best-selling superhero books for Marvel. I should probably get the last of his run on The Immortal Iron Fist, too, because that's superhero stuff that is at least sympatico with his independent work. IIF would also really work well as a film.

* I'm signed up for a blog on NaNo with my local paper and awaiting some word on what's going on with it. More info as it comes along.

* Have I mentioned what my NaNovel is about?

4 comments:

Seth said...

No, what's the NaNovel about?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason Arnett said...

It's about a woman named Penelope Powers who comes across an angel with amnesia and she gets caught up in helping him recover his memory.

The angel is Lucifer. What's interesting for me to explore is the idea that The Devil is an office that Lucifer claims never to have held, and then to wonder who could have done such a thing to an entity who had been such a powerful archangel and why. Not even God took his favorite son's memory and wings.

I'll tell you more when I see you guys tonight. Don't wanna ruin the surprise for everyone, but I think it's going to be good enough to share, even in first draft form.

I guess I've learned a little about writing over the last year or so.

mar said...

And also posted on the Livejournal. Now I'm really confused. Where is the best place to post a reply? Where is a place where anyone will even read it?

Is it an issue that the APA could be so de-focused, with all this content posted in so many different places? (I think this was the original argument when the PL blog was created.)