Saturday, October 10, 2009

Esquire Fiction Contest

Well it's over and I didn't win, as I expected.

What did I get out of it? A four thousand word story I wouldn't have written otherwise. Not a bad thing to have, and certainly a cool exercise.

I'm disappointed, to be sure, but not so much I wouldn't do it again. What I'll do now is pick that story up after I finish NaNoWriMo and seriously edit it in December, then see about submitting it elsewhere, perhaps to Ellery Queen or Alfred Hitchcock or somewhere else.

Why not?

I'll put the submitted version in my next 'zine for your perusal, but I recommend you do check out the winning story here.


Was this misleading?

Prizes and Approximate Retail Values: One (1) Winner will receive $2500.00 and have his or her entry published in a future issue of Esquire (ARV: Priceless). Total Approximate Retail Value: $2500.00. Winner will be notified via phone, e-mail or postal mail, at Sponsor's discretion, on or about December 31, 2009. Winner's List: For winner's name, send a separate self-addressed, stamped envelope to Esquire Fiction. 300 West 57th Street. 21st floor. New York, NY 10019 by January 31, 2010.


I'm not complaining, but I didn't expect the winning story to be published in mid-October after an August 1 deadline. Seems like they might've decided on September 1, actually.

I applaud the winner who got the $2500 and the publishing credit. Me? I got a story I wouldn't have written otherwise.

3 comments:

Seth said...

I don't understand your complaint? That they published the winning story too soon?

Jason Arnett said...

Winner will be notified via phone, e-mail or postal mail, at Sponsor's discretion, on or about December 31, 2009.

That's the part that got me. October doesn't seem at all like December 31. I suppose their 'out' is the word 'about'.

I didn't expect to win, far from it. Given that publishing works pretty far ahead, at least a month if not two and more likely at least three, closing the contest on the first of August and publishing on the 9th of October looks fishy.

Ultimately? Eh. I shrug my shoulders and move on.

mar said...

That you expected anything or that you were disappointed shows that you thought about it way too much.

Advice for looking to be published writers:
1. Write it.
2. Send it.
3. Don't think about it again until you hear about it, having moved on quickly between #2 and #3 to the next thing.