Wednesday, February 11, 2009

is this how it starts?

Marvel announced a new form of comic book will be sold via iTunes. With a recent article in Time sounding the death knoll for traditional publishing, I can't help but wonder if we are starting to see the end of ink and paper media? We have gone digital (and likely for the same reasons that other companies will go digital: money) with no real dropoff in membership, which makes me think that more and more people would accept an e-book or even an e-comic book. Opinions?

2 comments:

Zarko said...

I suspect some 'early adapters' (that's the fancy marketing term) will try and even embrace the new technology and style of distribution. Still, I don't think the traditional printed form will die entirely. For all the people who both understand AND have the money for new technology, there's a huge pile who don't and lack the loot.

Books will always be around because people like them. They prefer the tactile feel and the conditionless accessibility.

That said, I can see the style of sequential art changing from single comics to TPBs, but that's a different discussion.

Monster Monkey said...

I can say that I am one to embrace the new technology as media. With iPhones and the like and with such being able to download anything anywhere, I like that aspect. I'm in the dentist's waiting room and I want to read Hulk #25- done after a minimal fee.
With that said- the new tech doesn't(and shouldn't) "replace" the old. There's nothing like holding the comic in your hands and turning the page no matter how "old school" it may seem.
You might also like to check out the video interview with Bendis on CBR where he says the new method is a venture, but hopes it not to be a replacement and that there should always be a place for printed comics.
I agree.