Friday, June 20, 2008

What would you give them?

This came to me last night as I was drifting off to sleep (you'd be surprised at the things I think about when I'm falling asleep).

So let's say you have a friend or acquaintance that has absolutely no history with comic books. He is completely clueless when it comes to the genre. Could maybe pick out Superman in a lineup. Anyhoo, let's say this friend comes to you and is interested in learning about comics. He wants to start reading them, but has no clue where to begin. What do you give him?

Be specific. Don't just say, "Any 'ol Spidey title will do" ('Cause we all know that giving him any issue with the spidey-clone would be a big mistake). Something more like, "Amazing Spiderman #300. Todd McFarlane artwork, good Venom story, etc". The idea here is to find out what each of you think epitomizes the perfect comic book for a new reader. Is it the artwork? The story? Both?

For me, it wouldn't be just one issue. I would have to start with a recognizable character, say Batman or Superman. Then it would have to be a story with some heft, something that defines the hero but isn't bogged down with references to 50 years of history. The artwork is important, but preference in artwork is so subjective that I don't really feel it carries that much weight.

Anyhoo, at the end of the day, I would hand this friend either The Dark Knight Returns or Batman, Year One. Both of them have a recognizable character (Batman, duh), both are excellent stories (and the artwork isn't to shabby either) and after reading either, said friend would probably have his interest piqued enough to wander into a comic book shop.

So what would everyone else do?

7 comments:

Jason Arnett said...

I'd have to ask some questions:

What sorts of stories do you like?

What kind of story do you want to read?

Do you read anything on a regular basis?

Do you want to think about what you're reading or do you just want to be entertained?

From there I'd probably try to direct someone who likes a character-driven romantic comedy towards Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise, which is available as a set of graphic novels. If my friend likes some horror and thoughtful fantasy fiction, then they get the obvious Sandman pick. Perhaps my friend wants something kind of silly and doesn't want to have to think especially hard about an entertaining story, I'd hand them Bone by Jeff Smith. For a friend who likes Law & Order and Stephen King kinds of horror I'd recommend Fell by Warren Ellis and Ben Templesmith. A buddy who likes James Bond books and English sci-fi is going to get Matt Fraction's Casanova from me. Anyone who likes Sopranos would get a Grendel book by Matt Wagner (starting with Devil by the Deed and then maybe followed up with the Grendel/Batman crossovers). Although nearly any Matt Wagner book might be enough to hook the right person.

But then say someone has seen Iron Man and wants to read some cool Iron Man stories, or X-Men or Hulk or Spider-Man (or even Ghost Rider or Daredevil or Elektra) then I take them to Borders and show them the Marvel Essentials line and together we pick out the best volume available at the store for them.

As for Batman or Superman, I would take a friend who hasn't previously read comics and give them any, and I mean ANY, of the books written by Jeph Loeb and drawn by Tim Sale. From there, they could certainly get into Loeb and Sale's Marvel works (Spider-Man: Blue; Daredevil: Yellow; Hulk: Gray) and then watch as they grow to appreciate the fine storytelling, evocative art and and want more from that.

For me, and I hope for the majority of comic readers, it's not just about the heroes. Don't get me wrong: I grew up with Superman and Batman and Spider-Man and Hulk and the Avengers and X-Men and JLA and Flash and so many others, but those stories were for my youth. Now I want something new, something that gives me the same feelings of wonder and amazement. That doesn't happen in the spandex world because there are too many creators going back to the well that wasn't that deep to begin with. Corporate comics get old the same way soap operas get old. I want a story, a complete story that leaves the central character(s) CHANGED at the end and not in need of more stories. That can happen over the course of ten years (as in the case of Sandman) or in five issues, it doesn't matter.

If my friend came to me and wanted comics having NEVER read one before, I would ask those questions and probably guide them to one of those books. Better still, I'd say head to the library and see what grabs you there.

Seth said...

nope. no questions allowed, jason. just answer the question!!! you don't need additional questions... you really don't.

Jason Arnett said...

You're right, Seth, I should know my friends.

I'll stick by my list at the end (starting with volume 1 of any of the series I mentioned), but then add in Brian Vaughan's Y:the Last Man or the standalone briiliance of Pride of Baghdad, also by Vaughan with Nico Henrichon on the art.

I like having options to give them, and would decide on what I know of them.

I would not, in all likelihood, hand out a superhero book unless it was one of the Loeb/Sale books.

Concise enough?

tsweeten said...

I agree that a large majority of superhero titles aren't that good. But that doesn't mean the whole capes 'n tights set is worthless reading. Ed Brubaker is doing great things in Captain America and Daredevil. Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch on FF is more in line the the old Lee/Kirby issues. Just because I starting reading superheroes when I was younger doesn't mean I can't be captivated by the same heroes as an old(er) man.

Seth said...

I gave this some thought, and while I hate to rip off Travis' answer... I'd have to give them Batman: Year One.

It's just so stripped-down, no backstory, and it's beautifully drawn/designed.

Back in college, in this situation Trav describes, I gave a roommate The Dark Knight Returns. I think that was a mistake. It's too complicated for the newbie comic reader. It's great, don't get me wrong, but I was trying to show someone the breastroke when really I should have been showing them the doggy-paddle.

Anonymous said...

you should check this out! it's pretty sweet! http://bushleague.tv/2008/06/25/pulp-addiction-week-june-25th/

mar said...

Depends on why they were coming to you in the first place.